Mushroom-Pinot Noir Sauce
Makes 3 cups
The wine and porcini add depth to this sauce. Serve with Wild Mushroom
and Caramelized Onion Shepherd’s Pies.
- ¼ oz. dried porcini mushrooms
- 2½ cups Mushroom Stock (recipe, p. 38), or prepared mushroom broth
- ¼ cup Pinot Noir or flavorful red wine
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1½ Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. mushroom soy sauce or tamari
1. Soak porcini in 1/4 cup hot water 30 minutes. Drain, and reserve liquid. Finely chop porcini, and set aside.
2. Bring Mushroom Stock, wine, and soaking liquid to a boil in saucepan. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
3. Melt butter in separate saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Whisk 1/2 cup Mushroom Stock into flour mixture to make paste. Add remaining stock 1 cup at a time. Add chopped porcini and soy sauce; simmer 15 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
November/December 2010 p.55