Makes 4 4 1/2-inch tartlets
Chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry are the classic Neapolitan flavor combination (like the ice cream). Here they’re showcased in chocolate tartlets filled with vanilla-flavored strawberries. Baking the tartlets on double-stacked baking sheets (aka double panning) ensures that the tart shells bake evenly, with no burned bottoms.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting tarts
- 4 Tbs. sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 6 Tbs. cold trans fat–free margarine or unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 2 Tbs. semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 lb. strawberries, hulled and thickly sliced
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 vanilla beans, or 2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. To make Dough: Pulse flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt in food processor 10 times, or until combined. Add margarine, and pulse 10 times, or until mixture is crumbly. Add 2 Tbs. water, and pulse 5 times, or until Dough comes together.
2. Divide Dough into 4 equal pieces, shape into disks, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour, or overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Roll out Dough disks to 1/8-inch-thick rounds on lightly floured work surface. Press rounds into 4 1/2-inch tart pans with removable bottoms, and trim away excess. (Excess Dough can be rerolled to make small cookies, if desired.) Prick bottoms of tart shells 8 to 10 times each with fork, and place on 2 stacked baking sheets. Bake 20 minutes, or until tart shells begin to pull away from sides of pan. Remove from oven, and sprinkle 1 1/2 tsp. chocolate chips into each shell. Spread melting chips into thin chocolate layer with pastry brush.
4. To make Filling: Combine strawberry slices, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice in medium bowl. Halve vanilla beans, and scrape seeds into strawberry mixture; stir to combine (reserve vanilla pods for another use), or stir in vanilla extract. Let stand 30 minutes. Stir to combine juices and strawberries.
5. Layer 1/2 cup strawberry slices into each tart shell, pressing down lightly. (Tarts will be very full.) Return tarts to oven on double-stacked baking sheets, and bake 20 minutes, or until Filling bubbles around edges. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack before removing tarts from pans. Dust tarts with cocoa powder.
June 2013 p.60