Makes 2 loaves (16 slices)
Brighten up the look and flavor of a basic banana bread with sliced and diced nectarines.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- 2 large bananas, mashed (¾ cup)
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 5 large nectarines, peeled and pitted, 3 cut into ½-inch dice (2 cups), 2 cut into 8 wedges each
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 1-qt. loaf pans with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Beat egg in separate bowl, then whisk in milk, followed by bananas and melted butter. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Fold in diced nectarines.
3. Divide batter between prepared loaf pans. Arrange nectarine wedges in row, smooth side up, down center of each loaf. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
September 2013 p.82