New World Chili
This chili showcases ingredients that early explorers discovered in the New World—pinto beans, corn, tomatoes, and lima beans. Sprinkle diced avocado
and chopped red onion on top for a flavorful garnish. If you don’t have a slow cooker, this recipe is still very easy. For stovetop prep, all of the ingredients except the avocado and red onions
go into the pot at once, then everything simmers for about 2 hours.
- 1 24-oz. jar medium tomato salsa
- 1 15.5-oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 12-oz. pkg. crumbled soy “meat”
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen lima beans
- ¼ cup chili powder, or to taste
- ½ tsp. hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 ripe avocado, diced, for garnish
- 1 cup chopped red onions, for garnish
1. Combine all ingredients except avocado and red onions in 4-qt. slow cooker or large pot.
2. Cover slow cooker, and cook on low 4 to 6 hours. Or place lid on pot, and bring chili to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 1½ to 2 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Spoon chili into bowls, and garnish each serving with diced avocados and chopped red onion.
January 2006 p.29