No-Cream Creamed Corn
- 8 cups fresh (from 8 large ears) or frozen, thawed corn kernels, divided
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, white parts thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ cup fresh dill fronds, chopped
1. Purée 3 cups corn kernels with 2 cups water until smooth. Strain mixture through sieve. Discard solids.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, add leeks and salt, and sauté 1 minute. Add remaining 5 cups corn, and sauté 2 minutes more.
3. Add corn purée to corn-leek mixture, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring often. Mixture should be thick and creamy. Remove from heat, and stir in dill. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.July/August 2010 p.54