Okra and Onions
30 minutes or fewer
"If you think you don't like okra, try it Indian-style. The spices in this recipe enhance okra's flavor" says Gadia.
- 2 Tbs. canola or vegetable oil
- ½ tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1½ cups)
- 12 oz. frozen sliced okra, thawed
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
- ½ tsp. amchoor or 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. sugar
Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add cumin, cook 10 seconds. Add onion, sauté 3 minutes. Stir in okra, then coriander, salt, turmeric, and cayenne pepper. Cover, and cook 10 minutes, stirring once or twice. Stir in amchoor and sugar.
October 2010 p.50