Okra and Sweet Potato Fritters
It’s not unusual for okra and sweet potatoes to pair up in African cuisine, typically in curries and stews. These fritters use the same flavor combo.
- ½ lb. okra, thinly sliced (2½ cups)
- 1 small sweet potato, shredded (1 cup)
- 1 medium shallot, minced (¼ cup)
- 1 Tbs. honey
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce, plus more for dipping fritters, optional
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 Tbs. canola oil, divided
1. Combine okra, sweet potato, shallot, honey, soy sauce, egg, and cornmeal in large bowl. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
2. With wet hands, form mixture into 16 golf ball–size spheres, and flatten slightly.
3. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook fritters 8 minutes, flipping once. Repeat with remaining oil and spheres. Serve fritters warm, with soy sauce for dipping, if desired.
June 2014 p.58