Old-Fashioned Lemon Bars
Makes 18 bars
The brown sugar shortbread crust has
a toffee note that balances the tart filling in these bars.
- 6 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted, and then cooled to room temperature
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. finely grated organic lemon zest
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup plus 1 Tbs. sugar
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbs. mild-flavored honey
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1. To make Crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper so that paper extends beyond rim of pan. Stir together butter, brown sugar, lemon zest, and salt in medium bowl. Stir in flour. Pat mixture into bottom of pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until bottom is golden brown.
2. To make Filling: Whisk together sugar, lemon juice, honey, vanilla, salt, and eggs in medium bowl. Whisk in flour, and then pour over hot Crust.
3. Return pan to oven, and reduce heat to 300°F. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until Filling barely jiggles in center when pan is shaken. Remove pan from oven, and set on wire rack until completely cool. Lift square out using parchment paper, and slice into bars.
December 2013 p.65