One-of-Each Vegetable and Rice Bowl
30 minutes or fewer
The versatility of this recipe is highlighted in the title. Our version calls for one onion, one fennel bulb, one turnip, and one carrot, but feel free to substitute one or more of your favorite vegetables for any or all of them.
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 large fennel bulb, cut into thin wedges
- 1 medium turnip, quartered and cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 1 large carrot, sliced on bias (½ cup)
- ⅓ cup dry vermouth or white wine
- 1 6-oz. can salt-free tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 3 sprigs fresh marjoram or thyme
- ½ cup halved dried apricots
- 1 Tbs. butter, optional
- 1 cup cooked or canned chickpeas, warmed
1. Cook rice according to package directions.
2. Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, fennel, turnip, and carrot, and stir to coat with oil. Sauté 5 minutes, or until well browned. Stir in vermouth, and cook 30 seconds. Add tomato paste, garlic, marjoram, and 3 cups water. Add apricots, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Remove marjoram sprigs, and stir in butter, if using. Serve vegetable mixture over rice, sprinkled with chickpeas.
September 2013 p.32