- 3 cups fresh orange juice, divided
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 Tbs. orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier, optional
- 6 small oranges
- 1 oz. gluten free dark chocolate
- 6 sprigs fresh mint, optional
1. Heat 3/4 cup orange juice and sugar in large saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in remaining juice and orange liqueur, if desired. Refrigerate 3 hours, or until well chilled.
2. Churn chilled syrup in ice cream maker 30 minutes, or according to manufacturer’s instructions, until firm sorbet texture is achieved. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, freeze syrup in shallow 13- x 9-inch metal pan, stirring every 30 minutes until sorbet is firm but not rock solid. Break into chunks and process in food processor until smooth and creamy.
3. Cut small slice of skin from nonstem end of whole oranges so that they stand up straight. Cut 1/2 inch from tops of oranges, and scoop out fruit inside. Reserve scooped-out fruit for another use, or chop to garnish dessert.
4. Fill orange shells with sorbet. Freeze until ready to serve. Shave dark gluten free chocolate into long curls with vegetable peeler, and sprinkle over frozen oranges. Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired.January 2008