Overnight Chai Steel-Cut Oats
Ayurvedic lifestyle counselor Aisha Bahrami created this delicious no-cook oatmeal by accident: “I put all my ingredients into a pot for breakfast, got a phone call, and totally forgot about it,” she says.
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 cup hemp milk or non-dairy milk of your choice
- 2 Tbs. chia seeds
- ¼ tsp. ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger or 1 Tbs. crystallized ginger
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 Tbs. maple syrup, optional
- 1 Tbs. shredded coconut, optional
- 1 Tbs. chopped pistachios, optional
1. Combine oats, hemp milk, chia seeds, cardamom, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper, and maple syrup (if using) in glass jar with lid. Stir, close lid, and refrigerate overnight.
2. Open lid, stir, and sprinkle with coconut and pistachios, if using.
January/February 2012 p.10