Panko-Style Crusted Tofu and Vegetables
The best test to see if a crunchy coating will stick to foods? Try it on a variety of vegetables and some tofu cubes. Feel
free to swap in your favorite vegetables for the ones listed here.
Tofu and Vegetables
- 3 cups puffed rice cereal, such as Quaker Essentials or Arrowhead Mills
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1½ tsp. salt, divided
- 1½ cups white rice flour
- 1½ cups plain seltzer water
- 1 16-oz. block extra-firm tofu, cubed
- 2 zucchini, halved and sliced on bias
- 6 large button mushrooms, halved
- 6 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 2 small red onions, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and sliced
- 7 Tbs. vegetable oil, divided
1. To make Coating: Place puffed rice in resealable plastic bag. Seal, and roll with rolling pin until broken up. Transfer to bowl, stir in oil and 3/4 tsp. salt. Set aside.
2. Stir together rice flour and remaining 3/4 tsp. salt in large bowl. Whisk in seltzer water, adding 1 to 2 Tbs. more seltzer water (if necessary), until consistency is smooth and thick like Elmer’s glue.
3. To make Tofu and Vegetables: Line baking sheet with paper towels. Set aside.
4. Coat tofu cubes and vegetables in batter, then press into puffed rice mixture to coat. Set on second baking sheet.
5. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add tofu, and cook 6 to 7 minutes, turning occasionally, or until browned. Transfer to paper-towel-lined baking sheet to drain. Add 1 Tbs. oil to pan, and cook zucchini 6 to 7 minutes, or until browned and crisp. Transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining oil and vegetables. Sprinkle with salt, if desired, and serve hot.
December 2013 p.34