Pasta with Portobello Mushrooms in Mustard Sauce
30 minutes or fewer
Talk about fusion! This recipe combines Italian pasta and a French-style pan sauce flavored with Japanese mirinall cooked in a Chinese wok. It also proves you can use this implement for just about anything. For best results, choose a short pasta shape that will hold the sauce.
- In dry wok, cook pine nuts over low heat, stirring often, until lightly toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- In same wok, bring 2 1/2 quarts lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add pasta; stir to prevent sticking. Cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain well and set aside. Dry wok.
- Set wok over high heat and add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil. Add mushrooms and 1 teaspoon salt and stir-fry until tender, about 2 minutes. Transfer to medium bowl and set aside.
- Return wok to high heat and add remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add garlic and onion and stir-fry 1 1/2 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, rosemary and pepper flakes and stir-fry 1 1/2 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 2 minutes, scraping up brown bits from bottom of wok. Add to bowl with mushrooms.
- Return wok to high heat. Add mirin and mustard and stir with wire whisk to blend. Bring to a simmer then add reserved pasta and mushroom mixture and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Toss in toasted pine nuts and serve.