Pea and Red Lentil Curry
30 minutes or fewer
This curry pulls in the flavors and textures of a South Indian
meal. For a richer version, use regular coconut milk, and serve over basmati rice. Ripe tropical fruit such as mangos or papayas provide a fitting conclusion.
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp. curry powder, or to taste
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 cups lite coconut milk
- 1 cup dried, split red lentils
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 5 pieces dried mango, slivered
- ¼ cup raisins
- 3 Tbs. shredded coconut
- 3 Tbs. mango chutney
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, and sauté garlic and ginger about 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Sprinkle with curry powder and turmeric. Add coconut milk and lentils. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 15 minutes more, or until lentils are softened.
2. Stir in peas, mango slivers, raisins and coconut, and cook 3 minutes more. Remove from heat, stir in chutney and serve.