Peanut-Stuffed Okra Fingers
30 minutes or fewer
Stuffed okra is a traditional Indian finger food that packs bold flavor. Look for medium to large okra pods, which are easier to fill.
- 24 fresh okra pods (1 lb.)
- 1 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
- ½ small onion (¼ cup)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeds removed
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. coriander
- ½ tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat large baking sheet with cooking spray, or line with parchment paper.
2. Slice tops off okra. Use paring knife to split okra pods nearly in half lengthwise, leaving tip and one side intact. Pry pods open with fingers—be careful not to tear them.
3. Pulse peanuts, onion, garlic, ginger, jalapeño, cumin, coriander, and salt in food processor until very finely chopped.
4. Use fingers or small spoon to fill okra pods with peanut mixture. Place on baking sheet, and spray with cooking spray. Bake 13 to 15 minutes, or until okra has softened and filling begins to brown. Serve hot.
June 2014 p.57