Pear Crisp with Dried Cherries
Dried fruit adds tang, texture, and color to crisps, crumbles, and pies.
- 2 Tbs. blanched almonds
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbs. light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 Tbs. soy margarine
- 4 large pears (2¼ lb.), peeled and quartered
- ½ cup dried tart cherries
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 10-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
2. Place almonds in separate skillet, and toast over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes, or until browned. Cool.
3. Grind almonds to coarse crumbs in food processor. Add flour, brown sugar, orange zest, and vanilla extract. Pulse to combine. Add margarine, and pulse until mixture is combined.
4. Spread pears over bottom of prepared skillet. Scatter cherries over pears. Top with crumb mixture. Bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until top has browned.
March 2011 p.73