Pear Tarte Tatin
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 4 Bosc, Comice, or Concorde pears, peeled, quartered, and cored
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (½ 17.3-oz. pkg.)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Stir together sugar and 1/3 cup water in saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat, swirling pan occasionally to dissolve sugar. Boil syrup 5 minutes, or until it becomes amber-colored.
2. Pour caramel into 8-inch round baking pan, swirling to cover bottom completely with caramel. Sprinkle pine nuts over caramel. Arrange pears in circle with wide sides out, then place 1 pear quarter in center to fill hole.
3. Unfold puff pastry and trim off one-third. Reserve for another use. Place remaining two-thirds puff pastry over pears, trim to fit pan, then press onto edges to seal. Prick all over with fork.
4. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until puff pastry is golden brown and looks dry on top. Cool 20 minutes. Invert tart onto serving plate and serve warm.