These tender muffins wowed every one of our testers. They have a great nutty taste and are studded with chopped fresh pears. You can also make them with apples.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Coat 12 standard muffin pan cups with cooking spray.
- Combine both flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in medium bowl, and whisk to blend. Add pears and walnuts, and toss gently to coat.
- Combine milk, oil and egg in small bowl; stir to blend. Make well in flour mixture, and add milk mixture, stirring just until moist (dough will be sticky).
- Divide batter evenly among prepared cups. Sprinkle tops with sugar. Bake 20 minutes, or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove from pan, and cool on wire rack.
* To toast walnuts: Spread walnuts evenly in small baking dish or pie pan, and bake at 350F until fragrant and lightly browned, stirring twice, 6 to 8 minutes.