Penne Pasta Salad with Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano
30 minutes or fewer
A high-quality, aged Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese is essential to this recipe's success: the bold, salty flavor curbs the need for extra fat or seasoning. The salad
also makes a quick weeknight meal when served hot.
- 6 oz. penne rigate pasta
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 9 cloves garlic, minced (3 Tbs.)
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- ½ red jalapeño chile, seeded and chopped (1 Tbs.)
- 10 fresh red or yellow grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 oz. shaved or crumbled Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water 8 minutes. Add broccoli, and cook 1 minute more. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water.
2. Return pot to stove, and heat oil over medium heat. Sauté garlic in oil 1 minute. Add jalapeño, and cook 30 seconds. Stir in pasta mixture, tomatoes, and reserved cooking water. Transfer to large serving bowl, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cool to room temperature, and top with cheese.