Makes 6 bruschetta
30 minutes or fewer
A hot relish spooned over mozzarella warms the cheese to melting tenderness. Try the recipe with brothy soups such as minestrone or kale
and white bean.
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp.)
- 1 26-oz. jar roasted red peppers, rinsed, drained, and cut into 2-inch strips
- 1 tsp. honey
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 4-oz. balls fresh mozzarella, each cut into 6 slices
- 6 large slices French bread, toasted
1. Cut small X on bottom of each tomato, and place in bowl. Cover with boiling water, and let stand 1 minute. Drain, then peel and chop tomatoes.
2. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, roasted red peppers, honey, rosemary, bay leaf, and tomatoes. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Place 2 slices mozzarella on each slice of toasted bread. Top each with 1/4 cup warm peperonata mixture.
October 2011 p.33