Persimmon Salad with Toasted Walnuts and Dried Cranberries
30 minutes or fewer
Pick up a persimmon while doing your fall produce shopping and you won't regret it. The supersweet fruit has a peach-like texture and slightly spicy flavor. Hachiya and Fuyu are the two types of persimmons you're most likely to find. When ripe, heart-shaped Hachiya are jelly-like, while the squatter Fuyu stay firm. Save the wispy fronds from the chopped fennel bulb to garnish the salad.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 cups mesclun greens
- ½ ripe persimmon, halved and cut into fans (½ cup)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh fennel bulb
- 2 Tbs. dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbs. chopped toasted walnuts
1. Whisk together oil, vinegar, and mustard in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. Arrange mesclun greens on 2 salad plates, and divide persimmon fans, fennel, cranberries, and toasted walnuts between them. Drizzle dressing over salads, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.