Peruvian Baked Quinoa and Cheese
Think of this recipe as a protein-packed, gluten-free
alternative to mac ’n’ cheese.
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium leek, white and pale green parts halved and sliced (1 cup)
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 ½ cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 ½ cups grated Cheddar cheese (4 oz.), plus more for sprinkling, optional
1. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and bell peppers; cover, and cook 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in quinoa and garlic, and cook, uncovered, 3 to 4 minutes, or until quinoa grains turn opaque.
2. Add 3 cups water, and season with salt. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 3 to 4 minutes more, or until most liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Whisk together eggs and milk in large bowl. Fold in quinoa mixture and cheese. Transfer to prepared baking dish, and bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until browned around the edges and on top.