Philly-Style Broccoli Raab, Provolone, and Portobello Sandwiches
Cheesy sandwiches get a healthful kick and crunch from sautéed broccoli raab.
- 2 lb. broccoli raab, trimmed
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbs.)
- 1 cup chopped roasted red peppers, optional
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 baguette, cut into 4 pieces and halved
- 4 slices provolone cheese, halved
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in large saucepan. Add broccoli raab, cover pan, and cook 4 minutes. Turn with tongs, and cook 4 minutes more. Drain. Cool 5 minutes, and coarsely chop.
3. Heat 2 1/2 Tbs. oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add red pepper flakes and broccoli raab, and sauté 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in garlic, then roasted peppers (if using). Transfer to bowl.
4. Wipe out skillet, and heat remaining 1 1/2 tsp. oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, and sauté 6 minutes. Stir in vinegar, and cook 2 minutes more, or until all liquid has evaporated.
5. Toast baguette slices 6 minutes on baking sheet in oven. Divide broccoli raab and portobello slices among bread bottoms, then top each with 2 cheese half-moons. Return loaded sandwich bottoms to oven, and bake 5 minutes. Place tops over sandwiches.
January/February 2014 p.69