Pimiento Cheese Panini
30 minutes or fewer
Pimiento cheese, a Southern favorite, travels west here with the addition of cumin and chili powder.
- 8 oz. grated reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 4-oz. jar diced pimientos, drained
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 12 slices pumpernickel sandwich bread
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1. Stir together Cheddar, mayonnaise, pimientos, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne in bowl. Spread cheese mixture on 6 slices bread; top with zucchini and remaining bread slices.
2. Spray panini with cooking spray. Coat skillet or grill pan with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Place panini in pan; weight with smaller-diameter saucepan weighted with 2 cans. Cook 2 minutes. Flip, replace weight, and cook 2 minutes more. (Or cook 4 minutes in panini maker.)
July/August 2011 p.36