Piña Colada Bars
Makes 12 bars
Stretch those poolside summer days well into autumn with these cocktail-inspired treats.
- 2 cups vegan vanilla wafer cookies
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 Tbs. unsweetened almond milk
- 1 12-oz pkg. extra-firm silken tofu, drained
- 1 ripe medium banana
- ½ cup low-fat coconut milk
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. coconut oil
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 Tbs. pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. cornstarch
1. Preheat oven to 350°F, and coat 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
2. To prepare Crust: Pulse cookies into crumbs in food processor. Transfer to bowl, and mix in canola oil and almond milk. Press mixture into bottom of prepared pan. Bake 8 minutes, then cool.
3. To make Coconut Layer: Blend tofu, banana, coconut milk, sugar, lemon juice, coconut oil, cornstarch, vanilla, and salt in blender until very smooth, occasionally scraping down sides with rubber spatula. Transfer to bowl, and fold in shredded coconut. Pour over Crust in pan. Bake 55 minutes to 1 hour, or until top is lightly puffed and edges pull away from pan. Cool on wire rack.
4. To make Topping: Bring pineapple, sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch to a boil in saucepan. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 5 minutes. Pour mixture over Coconut Layer.
5. Cool until Topping is no longer steaming and baking pan is cool to touch. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill 3 hours. Slice into 12 bars with thin metal spatula dipped in water.
September 2013 p.48