Pita Quesadillas with Cilantro Hummus
30 minutes or fewer
There’s no need for cheese when you use cilantro-laced hummus to hold pita quesadillas together. Serve with salsa.
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 15-oz. can, rinsed and drained)
- 2 Tbs. lime juice
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 7-inch whole-wheat pitas, split crosswise
- 4 jarred roasted red bell peppers, drained and sliced into strips
- 1 ½ cups baby spinach leaves
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. To make Hummus: Process cilantro and garlic in food processor until chopped. Add chickpeas, lime juice, oil, and 1/4 cup water; purée 3 minutes, or until creamy.
2. To make Quesadillas: Place 4 pita halves on baking sheet. Spread each with 1/2 cup Hummus. Top with peppers, spinach, and remaining pita halves. Bake 10 minutes, or until crisp. Cut into triangles, and serve.
April 2010 p.24