This versatile pie originated in Naples in the 1800s. Tradition has it that a local pizza baker was commissioned to create a special pizza to honor visiting Italian royalty, King Umberto and his Queen Margherita. Hence, this pie.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil, optional
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup basil-flavored tomato or pizza sauce
- 4 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup shredded fresh basil plus extra leaves for garnish
- 2 cups shredded low-fat, regular or soy mozzarella
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese