Pizza with Pesto, Eggplant & Tomatoes
30 minutes or fewer
A layer of tofu-based pesto sauce replaces tomato sauce here.
- 1 12-inch round (1-lb.) prepared pizza crust, such as Rustic Crust
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- ⅛ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup low-fat firm tofu
- 1 Tbs. plus 5 tsp. olive oil
- 2 baby eggplants, stemmed and sliced
- 1 medium-size tomato, seeded and diced (about 1 cup)
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat 12-inch pizza pan or baking sheet with cooking spray, and set crust in pan.
2. Toast pine nuts in dry skillet over medium-low heat 3 minutes, or until brown, stirring constantly.
3. Blend 1/4 cup basil, garlic, red pepper flakes and 2 1/2 Tbs. pine nuts in food processor until finely chopped. Add tofu and 1 Tbs. oil, and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Heat 1 tsp. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of eggplant and cook 5 to 6 minutes, or until browned and tender, turning occasionally. Transfer to plate. Repeat with 1 tsp. oil and remaining eggplant slices.
5. Toss tomatoes with 1 tsp. oil in bowl. Brush crust with 2 tsp. oil. Spread pesto over crust. Scatter eggplant and tomatoes over pesto. Sprinkle with remaining pine nuts.
6. Bake 10 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly. Sprinkle pizza with remaining basil, and serve.