Makes 9 burgers
Diana McAnulty's search for a veggie burger her kids would devour took her through all the premade brands. Then she re-created the Planet Burger from the Good Earth restaurant in her childhood hometown of Cupertino, Calif. It was a hit. Serve on whole-grain hamburger buns with condiments.
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 12 oz. cooked chickpeas, mashed
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 ½ cups)
- 4 oz. cooked red beans or adzuki beans, mashed
- 1 medium carrot, shredded (½ cup)
- ½ cup ground almonds, almond flour, or breadcrumbs
- ½ cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cup dried parsley
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
1. Stir together all ingredients in large bowl. Shape 9 1/2-inch-thick patties.
2. Coat nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Cook patties in skillet 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until browned on outside and cooked through on inside. (Use wide spatula to flip burgers; they can be fragile.)
January 2010 p.12