Makes 48 wafers
Take a Southern hors d’oeuvre (cheese wafers) and doctor it up with Southwestern flavors (poblano chiles), and you get these crisp snacks with a hint of heat.
- ½ poblano chile, seeded, deveined, and cut into chunks
- 1 cup low-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
- 4 Tbs. butter or margarine, softened
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup yellow cornmeal or polenta
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper, optional
1. Chop poblano in food processor, until finely minced. Add cheese and butter, and blend until smooth. Add flour, cornmeal, salt, and cayenne, if using, and blend until smooth dough forms. Transfer to large sheet of parchment paper, place second sheet of parchment on top, and press into 1/4-inch-thick disk. Refrigerate 1 hour, or overnight.
October 2010 p.75
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Peel dough disk off parchment, and place parchment sheets on 2 baking sheets, clean-sides up. Cut dough into 24 2-inch rounds with cookie cutter. Cut each round into 2 semicircles. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until wafers are light brown. Cool on baking sheets.