Potato & Chickpea Curry with Rice
For the full Indian
curry experience, serve this dish with warmed naan (Indian flat bread), sliced green onion, and a bowl of spicy chutney. Be sure the lid to the Dutch oven closes tightly over the spinach so no steam escapes while the dish is cooking.
- 3 cups jasmine rice
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 3 large russet potatoes, cut into ½-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 3 15-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 14.5-oz. cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 medium onion, diced (1 cup)
- 9 cloves garlic, chopped (3 Tbs.)
- 3 Tbs. curry powder
- 3 cups tightly packed baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped (4 oz.)
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Generously spray inside of 5 1/2- or 6-quart Dutch oven with cooking spray.
2. Stir together rice and 2 1/4 cups broth in pot. Top with potatoes, season with salt and pepper, then add chickpeas.
3. Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, curry powder, and remaining 3/4 cup broth in bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Spread tomato mixture over chickpeas, then top with spinach. Cover pot, and bake 53 minutes, or about 3 minutes after aroma wafts from oven.