Serves 4 (makes 8 latkes)
30 minutes or fewer
Jason Johnstone-Yellin created this vegan version of potato pancakes after his Jewish wife kept saying "they're not as good as my mom's." Now he's working on a vegan cookbook: Cooking with Tamara's Husband.
- 2 large potatoes peeled, grated and squeezed dry (about 1 ½ lbs.)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1 ¼ cups)
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup canola oil, divided, for frying
1. Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Scoop 1/2 cup potato mixture into skillet and spread into 1/8-inch thick patty. Repeat. Fry patties 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Cook remaining latkes in batches of 2, adding 1 Tbs. oil to skillet each time.
2. To drain, transfer latkes to wire rack on top of baking sheet lined with newspaper. Place latkes on pan in oven to keep warm. Serve with vegan sour cream or applesauce.