Pumpkin Cheesecake with Candied Cranberries
Kathryn Hostettler, who received honorable mention in VT's 2009 Reader Recipe Contest for this recipe, works as a pet nanny and volunteers for Rogers' Rescues, a virtual dog rescue.
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups Wholesome Sweeteners Fair Trade Certified Organic Sugar, plus more for coating cranberries
- 1 small pkg. vegan graham crackers (10 sheets of crackers)
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 2 oz. nonhydrogenated vegan margarine, such as Earth Balance, melted
- 12 oz. Nasoya Silken Tofu, drained
- 8 oz. vegan cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin purée
- ½ cup Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Blue Agave nectar
- ¼ cup Wholesome Sweeteners Fair Trade Certified Organic Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbs. Bob's Red Mill Cornstarch
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Simply Organic Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp. Simply Organic Cinnamon Powder
- ¼tsp. Simply Organic Ginger
- ¼ tsp. grated fresh nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
1. To make Candied Cranberries: Prick each berry several times with needle. Bring sugar and 2 cups water to a boil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook 7 to 10 minutes, or until sugar reaches 230°F on candy thermometer. Add cranberries, and cook 10 minutes, or until syrup jells when dropped from tip of spoon. Remove berries with slotted spoon, and cool. Roll cranberries in sugar to coat. Set aside, or store up to 4 days.
2. To make Crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Process graham crackers and salt into fine crumbs in food processor. Add margarine, and pulse to combine. Press mixture into bottom and halfway up sides of 9-inch springform pan.
3. To make Cheesecake Filling: Purée all ingredients in food processor 3 to 5 minutes, or until very smooth. Pour into Crust, and bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until Cheesecake Filling is set. Cool on wire rack, then chill completely in refrigerator, at least 3 hours or overnight. Slice and garnish each serving with Candied Cranberries.