Makes 1 large loaf (serves 12)
A traditional quick bread blend of egg, oil, and milk lightens up this fruit-laced treat.
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- ¾ cup Oven-Roasted Pumpkin Purée or ½ 15-oz. can unsweetened pumpkin purée
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 15-oz. can pears, drained and diced
1. Preheat oven to 350°F, and coat 8- or 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together sugar, flours, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt in bowl. Set aside.
3. Whisk together oil and egg in bowl until smooth. Whisk in milk, then pumpkin and vanilla. Stir flour mixture into oil-egg mixture until just combined. Fold in pears. Spread batter in prepared loaf pan, and bake 45 to 55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
October 2012 p.71