Pungent Cucumber Salad with Black Sesame and Ginger
30 minutes or fewer
“The first time I had this dish it was a revelation of flavors because I’d never really cared for cucumbers before,” admits Dale Kent. You can also add shredded carrots with soaked, washed wakame. Serve over a bed of lettuce or arugula—the sauce will dress the greens. Recipe adapted from Tassajara Dinners & Desserts by Dale and Melissa Kent.
- 1 lb. cucumbers, thinly sliced (3 cucumbers)
- ⅓ tsp. salt
- 4 Tbs. rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. mirin or ½ Tbs. sugar
- 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- ¼–½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. toasted black sesame seeds
1. Sprinkle cucumbers with salt; let drain in colander over bowl at least 10 minutes. Mix together vinegar, soy sauce, mirin, ginger, and red pepper flakes.
2. Give cucumbers final gentle squeeze to remove more water, dress with vinegar mixture, and toss together with sesame seeds. Chill before serving.