Quick-Braised Broccoli with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Goat Cheese
30 minutes or fewer
This simple dish makes a satisfying weeknight supper when served over brown rice or quinoa. Sautéing the broccoli before steaming it helps caramelize its natural sugars and gives it a fuller, richer flavor.
- 2 Tbs. pine nuts
- 1 ½ Tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 large heads broccoli (1 lb.), cut into small florets
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese (2 oz.)
- ¼ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and sliced
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1. Toast pine nuts in dry skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to large bowl.
2. Heat oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add broccoli, and cook 2 minutes, or until florets are evenly coated with oil and beginning to soften and brown, stirring constantly. Carefully add 1/3 cup water; cover tightly with lid. Steam broccoli 4 minutes, or until water has evaporated and broccoli is tender.
3. Transfer broccoli to bowl with toasted pine nuts, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Sprinkle goat cheese over broccoli, and stir in sun-dried tomatoes. Drizzle vinegar over top, and serve warm.
April 2010 p.64