Quick, High-Protein Veggie Lasagna
This easy-to-follow recipe provides you with 21 grams of protein per serving, thanks to the soy "steak" strips. The lasagna can be assembled quickly since you don't have to cook the pasta first. Excerpted from Diet Simple by Katherine Tallmadge.
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 12 oz. soy "steak" strips
- ½ lb. eggplant, cubed
- 1 ripe tomato, cubed
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 ½ cups marinara sauce
- 2 tsp. dried oregano, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 9-oz. pkg. oven-ready lasagna sheets
- 2 cups low-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 cups low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray nonstick 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, and brown garlic 2 to 3 minutes. Add soy strips, and sauté 2 to 3 minutes. Add eggplant, tomato, zucchini and 1 cup of marinara sauce; cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in oregano, salt and pepper.
2. Meanwhile, place 6 sheets of lasagna in bottom of pan, overlapping as needed to fill gaps. Spoon in eggplant mixture, and top with layer of ricotta cheese. Place remaining lasagna strips over ricotta, and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Spread remaining marinara sauce on top, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and cover pan tightly with foil. Bake 30 to 45 minutes, or until top layer of pasta is soft. Remove and serve.