Quick Moroccan Tagine
30 minutes or fewer
Serve this spice-laced North African stew over bulgur, couscous, or rice.
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp. sweet or smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large leek, cut into 1-inch-thick rounds
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch triangles
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 15-oz. can, rinsed and drained)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 8 dried apricots, quartered
- ½ cup dry-cured black olives, optional
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
1. To make Spice Blend: Combine all ingredients in small bowl.
April 2010 p.26
2. To make Tagine: Heat oil in pot over medium-high heat. Add leek and bell pepper; sauté 3 minutes. Add potatoes, chickpeas, garlic, and Spice Blend; cook 30 seconds. Stir in apricots, olives (if using), and 2 cups water; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Serve sprinkled with cilantro.