Whole preserved lemons usually take a month or more to cure in salt, but chopping the lemons trims the time to just three days.
Slice ends off lemons, and discard. Chop lemons into 1/4-inch pieces, and discard seeds. Place chopped lemons, salt, brown sugar, chile de arbol, and bay leaf in small bowl, and stir to combine. Transfer to clean glass jar, and place plastic wrap directly on surface. Let stand at room temperature three days, then store in refrigerator up to three months.
WAYS TO USE
1. Finely chop, and stir into
crème fraîche or Greek yogurt
for a vegetable dip
2. Whisk into salad dressings
3. Stir into couscous with olives, golden raisins, and cilantro
4. Toss with sweet potatoes or carrots before roasting
5. Add to puréed soups
6. Muddle into a martini
7. Toss with olives and roasted almonds for a quick hors d’oeuvre