Quinoa with Corn and Basil
30 minutes or fewer
This hearty salad
is best during summer months, when fresh basil and corn are at their peak. If you're serving the salad to guests, you can make it several hours ahead and let it sit at room temperature until serving time.
- 1 ½ cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups fresh (about 4 ears) or frozen corn
- 1 cup tightly packed basil leaves, finely chopped
- ½ cup diced jarred roasted red peppers
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 to 5 Tbs. fresh lemon juice (1 to 2 lemons)
1. In medium saucepan, combine quinoa, salt and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 12 minutes.
2. Add corn, cover and cook until quinoa is tender but still a little crunchy, about 3 minutes.
3. Drain quinoa mixture and transfer to large serving bowl. Toss well with fork, fluffing quinoa. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. Add basil, peppers and onion. Stir in oil and enough lemon juice to give salad a distinct lemony edge. Adjust seasonings to taste and serve.