Raspberry Oatmeal Bars
Makes 16 bars
Feel free to try this recipe with different jams (blueberry and apricot work well). You can also add 1/2 cup nuts to the batter for extra protein and energy on long hikes.
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats, divided
- 1 cup raspberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in large bowl.
3. Cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla and almond extracts until smooth. Add flour mixture to butter mixture; mix until combined. Stir in 13/4 cups oats. Spread 2/3 of batter on bottom of prepared baking dish. Spread raspberry jam over the batter with back of spoon.
4. Add remaining 1/4 cup oats to remaining batter. Crumble over top of raspberry jam. Bake 30 minutes, or until golden. Cool, then cut into bars.