Ravioli in a Light Vegetable Broth
30 minutes or fewer
The success of this light starter depends on the quality of the ravioli and broth you use. For best results, make it with homemade stock, such as the Vegetable Stock from vegetariantimes.com. Serve before homemade pizza or eggplant Parmesan.
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 lb. fresh cheese or other stuffed ravioli (about 30)
- 2 medium carrots, finely grated (1 cup)
- 6 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (¼ cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- ½ tsp. fines herbes
- 12 fresh basil leaves, torn
1. Bring broth and 1 cup water to a boil in saucepan. Add ravioli, and cook according to package directions until al dente. Remove ravioli to plate with slotted spoon.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low, and add carrots, mushrooms, green onions, garlic, and fines herbes. Cover, and simmer 5 minutes.
3. Ladle broth into bowls. Divide ravioli among bowls, and sprinkle with basil.
October 2011 p.33