Ravioli with Sweet Potato Sauce
This mellow sauce served over a hearty pasta combines comfort and elegance in one easy meal. Serve with some steamed broccoli florets, baby carrots and red and green bell pepper strips. Round out the meal with slices of fresh Italian bread.
1 large sweet potato (about 8 oz.)
16-oz. pkg. frozen vegetable-filled ravioli or tortellini
1 Tbs. butter or soy margarine
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup low-fat milk or soy milk or as needed
1 cup frozen green petite peas, thawed
- Pierce several holes in skin of sweet potato with a fork. Microwave sweet potato on high power about 8 minutes or until tender. Plunge potato into a bowl of cold water (or, if you microwaved an extra sweet potato from the previous night’s dinner, simply use it as is).
- Meanwhile, cook frozen pasta in a large pot of rapidly boiling water according to package directions. Drain well and return to the pot.
- In small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Peel sweet potato and mash it well in a medium bowl. Stir in garlic and enough milk to achieve the consistency of a thick sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add sauce to cooked pasta in the pot. Stir in green peas and heat through. Garnish with parsley and serve right away.