Raw Chocolate-Chia Energy Bars
Makes 8 bars
30 minutes or fewer
seeds add nutritional punch and crunch to these chocolate treats.
- 1 ½ cups pitted dates
- ⅓ cup raw unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup whole chia seeds, such as ReNew Life Ultimate ChiaLife
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract, optional
- ¼ tsp. almond extract, optional
- 1 cup raw slivered almonds or raw shelled pistachios
- Oat flour for dusting, optional
1. Place dates in bowl of food processor; purée until thick paste forms. Add cocoa powder, chia seeds, and vanilla and almond extracts, if using. Pulse until all ingredients are combined. Add almonds; pulse until nuts are finely chopped and well distributed through date mixture.
2. Spread large sheet of wax paper on work surface, and dust with oat flour, if using. Transfer date mixture to wax paper, and use paper to press mixture into ½-inch-thick rectangle. Wrap tightly, and chill overnight.
3. Unwrap block, and cut into 8 bars. Dust edges and sides with oat flour, if using, to prevent sticking. Rewrap each bar in wax paper.
January 2010 p.37