“Raw” Slaw with Asian Pear
30 minutes or fewer
Tender Swiss chard leaves are ideal in raw cuisine recipes because they are milder than other leafy greens like kale
and collards, but less prone to tearing and wilting than spinach.
- 13 Swiss chard leaves, stems removed, sliced into ¼-inch ribbons
- 1 large Asian pear, peeled and grated (3 cups)
- 4 large navel oranges, segmented and chopped (3 cups)
- 3 large carrots, grated (2 cups)
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- ⅔ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- ¼ cup red pepper–seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1. Toss together chard, Asian pear, oranges, carrots, and cilantro in bowl.
2. Blend cashews, orange juice, and sesame oil in blender 15 seconds, or until nuts are finely ground. Add rice wine vinegar and ginger, and blend 10 seconds more, or until smooth and frothy. Add to chard mixture, and toss to coat.