Red Curry Vegetable Soup
30 minutes or fewer
Thai red curry paste provides the spicy base for this soup. Feel free to substitute whatever vegetables you have on hand for the cauliflower and green beans.
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- 12 oz. cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets (3 cups)
- 4 large green onions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 2 Tbs. Thai red curry paste, such as Thai Kitchen
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15-oz. can petite diced tomatoes in juice
- ¾ cup light coconut milk
- 6 oz. green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces (1½ cups)
- 1 Tbs. lime juice
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower and white parts of green onions; sauté 5 minutes, or until vegetables begin to brown. Add curry paste, and sauté 1 minute more.
2. Add broth and tomatoes with their juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Add coconut milk and green beans, and simmer 5 minutes, or until beans are tender.
4. Stir in lime juice and remaining green onions. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
January/February 2014 p.26