Red Lettuce and Roasted Beet Salad with Walnuts and Blue Cheese
With radicchio, lolla rossa lettuce and red Belgian endive readily available in many supermarkets, the greens in your salad
can be a gorgeous red.
- 10 baby beets, trimmed
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 5 Tbs. toasted walnut oil, divided
- 2 cups cubed whole-grain country bread
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 3 shallots, chopped (about ¼ cup)
- 8 cups lolla rossa, red butter lettuce, red Belgian endive and/or radicchio leaves
- 3 oz. blue cheese, crumbled (about ½ cup)
- ½ cup walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Arrange beets in center of sheet of foil. Drizzle with vegetable oil, and enclose in foil. Roast 1 hour, or until beets are tender. Cool, peel, and quarter.
2. Heat 2 Tbs. walnut oil in skillet over medium heat. Add bread, and sauté 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to plate to cool.
3. Combine remaining 3 Tbs. walnut oil, vinegar and shallots in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Toss beets with half of dressing in small bowl. Toss greens with remaining dressing in large shallow bowl. Sprinkle salad with croutons and blue cheese. Mound beets in center of greens, sprinkle with walnuts, and serve.