Rice Noodle Salad with Smoked Tofu and Herbs
30 minutes or fewer
This dish has all the flavors of fresh (not fried) spring rolls, but requires
much less work. Adding smoked tofu turns it into a full meal.
- 4 oz. dried rice noodles
- ½ cup lime juice
- 3 ½ Tbs. dark brown sugar
- 3 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 bird’s eye chile, Thai chile, or small jalapeño chile, halved,seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups thinly sliced purple cabbage
- 1 ½ cups shredded carrot
- 1 ½ cups julienned cucumbers
- 1 8-oz. pkg. baked smoked tofu, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped
1. Place noodles in large heat-proof bowl, and cover with boiling water; let stand 5 minutes. Drain, and rinse noodles under cold water, then drain again.
2. Whisk together lime juice, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, and chile in bowl until sugar has dissolved.
3. Divide noodles among serving plates. Toss together cabbage, carrot, cucumbers, tofu, mint, and cilantro in separate bowl, and place on top of noodles. Pour lime juice mixture over top. Serve sprinkled with peanuts.
March 2013 p.32