Rice Salad Primavera
30 minutes or fewer
This picnic salad
is a medley of rice, vegetables, and tofu that's a meal in itself. Because there's no mayonnaise in it, there's little risk of it spoiling on a hot day, though it should be kept as cool as possible. The rice will absorb more moisture when the salad is chilled, so you may have to adjust seasonings and add a drop of vinegar or olive oil
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 8-oz. pkg. baked flavored tofu, diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 4 green onions, chopped (½ cup)
- ½ orange bell pepper, chopped (½ cup)
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, quartered, and sliced (½ cup)
- 1 small yellow squash, diced (½ cup)
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- ⅓ cup olive oil
1. Bring rice and 2 cups water to a boil in covered saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes, or until rice is tender and has absorbed all water. Cool. Transfer to large bowl.
2. Stir tofu, tomatoes, green onions, bell pepper, cucumber, and squash into rice.
3. Whisk together vinegar and mustard in small bowl. Whisk in oil until mixture forms smooth sauce. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Stir vinaigrette mixture into rice mixture. Chill well before serving.