Rich and Creamy Cashew Cheese
Makes 16 oz.
This is great on its own and can be flavored to your tastes. Try blending in 1/2 cup chopped parsley and chives; 2 Tbs. diced chipotles in adobo sauce; or 2 tsp. dried herbs (oregano, basil, tarragon) in the food processor after the base mixture has been processed smooth.
- 2 cups raw unsalted cashews, soaked 12–24 hours, and drained
- 2 Tbs. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. white balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp. granulated onion powder
- ⅛ tsp. granulated garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp. white pepper, optional
Place cashews in bowl of food processor. Process 1 minute, or until rough paste forms. Add 1/2 cup water and remaining ingredients. Process 3 to 5 minutes, until smooth. Transfer to lidded container, and refrigerate 12 hours to allow to thicken. Spread on sandwiches, crackers, or pita.
November 2012 p.71